Friday, June 17, 2016: 10:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.
Friday, July 15, 2016: 10:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.
This unique, hands-on workshop will walk you through all the court forms necessary for an adult to petition the Los Angeles Superior Court for a name change. This workshop is intended for motivated adults who would like to change their names and are willing to fill out the paperwork themselves without legal representation. This workshop is open to Los Angeles County residents who are 18 years or older.
- The court forms needed to file for an adult name change
- How to accurately complete the forms
- How to ask the court to waive court fees based on your low income
- Where to file your completed court forms
- How to publish a name change in a local newspaper
- How to prepare for your court hearing
What to bring:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Driver’s license or California identification number
- Proof of your income if you will be applying for a fee waiver. This includes: Pay stubs, disability or unemployment statements, or any other proof of income
No legal advice:
LA Law Library does not provide legal advice. LA Law Library provides legal resources and assistance with legal research as an educational service. The Law Library is pleased to offer our patrons the opportunity to obtain assistance from third party legal service providers at this and other events within the Library. However, the Library does not control and is not responsible for the content or scope of any assistance given by those providers.
This workshop does not cover name changes for minor children, persons seeking to change their gender or those seeking a confidential name change. For information about future workshops on these and other topics, sign up for email notices here.
Registration fees: $10 for the class (nonrefundable, payment reserves spot)
Given the nature of the workshop, space is limited to 12. Register now!