The LA Law Library was established in 1891 as the Los Angeles County Law Library.
For over 100 years, the LA Law Library has provided access to legal information
and materials for the legal community, government officials, the business community
and the general public. With nearly 1,000,000 volume equivalents (print, media,
microfilm and microfiche), LA Law Library is the second largest public law library
in the United States.
The LA Law Library operates under the California Business and Professions Code,
Section 6300 et seq. as independent public agency. A seven-member Board of
Trustees set policy and appoint the Executive Director. The Board consists of five
Superior Court judges appointed by the Presiding Judge of the Superior Court of
Los Angeles County and two attorneys appointed by the Board of Supervisors.
The Law Library derives its income primarily from a portion of the filing fee charges
paid by parties to civil litigation in the Superior Court of Los Angeles County.
Law Library Facilities
The main library building is located in the Los Angeles Civic Center. Although
nearly 175,000 sq ft, the Library is predominantly closed stacks with only the main
floor reading room accessible to the public. Upon request, materials located
on other floors will be retrieved within five to ten minutes.
The LA Law Library maintains branch collections in courthouses in Long Beach, Norwalk,
Pomona, Santa Monica, and Torrance. In addition, the LA Law Library has four public
Lancaster Regional Library, Pasadena Public Library, and Los Angeles Public Library, Van Nuys Branch.